12.30pm-5.00pm Registration, St. George's Hotel
1.30pm Introduction to and orientation of Llandudno
2.00pm Study tours depart St George’s Hotel   
Option 1 - Conserving complex historic sites: Bodnant Gardens & Gwydir Castle

Bodnant Gardens

Bodnant1 William Greenwood, Bodnant Property Manager and David Watkins from Brock Carmichael Architects will lead a study tour of the recent projects including the new pedestrian underpass , Visitor Reception Building and the conservation repairs to ‘the Poem’ are included. Balancing conservation with access, whilst retaining the sense of place have been key to the approach.

Bodnant Garden is one of the most beautiful gardens in the UK, spanning some 80 acres and is situated above the River Conwy on ground sloping towards the west and looking across the valley towards the Snowdonia range.

The Garden has two parts. The upper garden around Bodnant Hall consists of the terraced gardens and informal lawns shaded by trees. The lower portion, known as the "Dell" is formed by the valley of the River Hiraethlyn and contains the Wild garden.

Gwydir CastleBodnant2 A guided tour of Gwydir Castle by the current owner Peter Welford, architectural historic who has led on the restoration of the building over the last 16 years, will examine the issues faced in dealing with such a complex and sensitive site.

Gwydir Castle is situated in the beautiful Conwy Valley and is set within a Grade 1 listed, 10-acre garden. Built by the illustrious Wynn family c1500, Gwydir is a fine example of a Tudor courtyard house, incorporating re-used medieval material from the dissolved Abbey of Maenan. Further additions date from c1600 and c1826. The important 1640s panelled Dining Room has now been reinstated, following its repatriation from the New York Metropolitan Museum and reopened by HRH Prince Charles.

Following the Wars of the Roses, the castle was rebuilt around 1490 by Meredith ap Ieuan ap Robert, founder of the Wynn dynasty and a leading regional supporter of King Henry VII. Originally a fortified manor house, Gwydir acquired additions in the 1540s (incorporating reused gothic building material from nearby Maenan Abbey), and was given a fine Elizabethan porch and gardens in the 1590s. Further additions were made c.1828 to designs by Sir Charles Barry, architect of the Houses of Parliament.

In the 1570s Gwydir was the home of Katherine of Berain, cousin of Queen Elizabeth I and the castleBodnant3 has associations with the Babington Plot (1586) and the Gunpowder Plot (1605). Other historical figures linked with the castle include Lord Leicester (Queen Elizabeth's favourite) Inigo Jones, 'the Father of English Palladianism', Bishop Morgan, translator of the first Welsh Bible and Archbishop John Williams, Lord Keeper under Charles I.

Bodnant Gardens: http://www.bodnantgarden.co.uk/  
Gwydir Castle: http://www.gwydircastle.co.uk/ 

Pevsner(Clwyd edition)
Bodnant Gardens Pg 107
Gwydir Castle Pg 374
Option 2 - Penmaenmawr THI & The Close, Llanfairechan
Penmaenmawr THI & The Close, Llanfairechan
Penmaenmawr TH!
The Close
The architect Herbert Luck North (1871-1941) was educated at Uppingham and Jesus College, Cambridge. He was articled in London and worked as an assistant to Sir Edwin Lutyens before forming a consortium of architects in London. At the turn of the century he returned to north Wales and established a practice in Llanfairfechan, developed a distinctive Arts & Crafts inspired practice.

His surviving buildings are highly attractive and much loved across North Wales and his garden village ‘The Close’ at Llanfairfechan is probably Wales’ finest contribution to the Arts & Crafts movement. His interest in the qualities of local buildings influenced his ideas and made him one Penmaenmawr THIof the first architects to try to create a distinctive architecture for Wales.

Join local conservation Architect, Adam Voelcker, for a short presentation on the life and works of North at the Church Institute and a guided walk of ‘The Close’ examining the continuing conservation challenges, culminating with a visit to North’s home Wern Isaf, still occupied by his granddaughter.

Penmaenmawr Townscape Heritage Initiative

Conwy County Borough Council managed the THI focussed on the town centre between 2004 and 2009. The scheme transformed 50 properties with £2.7m of grant funding from a partnership of the Heritage Lottery Fund, Cadw, the Welsh Assembly Government and the Council, leading to £4m of investment.

The main objectives of the Penmaenmawr THI were to improve the quality of the town centre’s overall building stock, enhance local business confidence, bring vacant floorspace back into use, add to the regeneration of the town as well as restoring, maintaining and reinstating the architectural and historical interest of buildings within the town centre conservation area.

In terms of headline outcomes:-
• eighteen vacant retail units in the town centre were brought back into occupation.
• over 12,000 square metres of floorspace was improved or brought into productive re-use;
• 27 jobs were safeguarded within businesses benefiting from grant support;
• 68 new jobs were created in new and existing businesses;
• a successful working relationship was forged with the council’s housing department where the THI worked in tandem with the housing department’s group repair scheme.
• all four of the identified critical buildings were renovated under the initiative, a clear measure of the THI’s success.

Pevsner(Gwynedd (2009) edition)
Penmaenmawr THI Pg 486
The Close Pg 436
Option 3 - The challenge of reconciling tourism - Conwy Castle & Towns Walls World Heritage Site
Conwy Castle & Towns Walls World Heritage Site Conwy town walls

Visit one of Wales’ most impressive Castles and see how conservation is reconciled with tourism at a World Heritage Site. Cadw professionals will be leading the study tour, including an inspection of recently completed conservation work to the Town Walls.

Built for King Edward I between 1283-87 to Master James of St George's design, Conwy remains one of the most outstanding achievements of medieval military architecture. The distinctive elongated shape, with its two barbicans, eight massive towers and great bow-shaped hall, was perhaps determined by the narrow rocky outcrop on which the castle stands. The 3/4m (1.2km) of town walls is one of the finest and most complete sets in Europe, with twenty-one towers and three gateways and enclose the town


Pevsner(Gwynedd (2009) edition)
Conwy Castle & Town Walls Pg 322

Conwy Castle


5.00 - 5.30pm Return to Hotel from Study tours
7.00pm Depart Hotel for evening receptionn
7.30pm Evening Civic Reception at the multi-award winning Mostyn Gallery
  Introduction Eddie Booth IHBC President
  Welcome Councillor Philip C Evans JP Cabinet Member for Corporate and Regulatory Services Conwy County Borough Council
  Sponsor Address Tony Barton Deputy Chairman Donald Insall Associates
  Drinks and buffet followed by tours of the building with the Gallery Director and Architect