Saturday 18th June

10.00am Study Tours introduction
10.30am Study tours depart St George’s Hotel
Option 1 - New owners, new uses - transforming historic buildings: Lady Foresters & St George's
Lady Foresters

Meet the Architect and Contractor to view the outcome of works and the new extension as a success of close working between the client, agents and the Council. Most recently, St Dunstan’s the charity for blind and visually impaired service people, have purchased the property, repairing it and extended the building.

Lady Foresters Convalescent Home isa Grade ll Listed building was a purpose built medical centre dating to 1902. The building retains the majority of its original layout and features including two teak panelled spiral staircases and an ornate pitch pine panelled dining hall. The majority of the modifications to the standing building dated to between 1902 and 1912.


St George’s School

See how a derelict School can be transformed by the involvement of a BPT and returned to the local authority. Meet the Architect and client to discuss the process and sustainability of the building.

St. George’s old National school has been identified as one of the earliest buildings in Llandudno, having occupied the prominent Church Walks site since the Schoolmasters house and original School building were completed in 1846.

The project comprised the restoration of the Grade II Listed Old St. George’s National School, and its conversion for use by the County Borough Council. The project sought to transform the vacant derelict school building into a new Early Years Learning Centre housing a nursery, toy library, and resources facility, whilst addressing the need for modern ancillary facilities.

Despite proposals being drawn up for the possible demolition of the derelict school, it’s future was secured following the refurbishment and conversion project undertaken by Llandudno Seaside Buildings Preservation Trust and Conwy County Borough Council.



Lady Forrester’s:
St George’s School, Llandudno: 

Pevsner(Gwynedd (2009) edition)
Lady Forester’s Pg 413
St George’s Pg 415
Option 2 - Utilising & Specifying Welsh Slate: Penrhyn Quarry, Bethesda
Penrhyn Quarry, Bethesda

Get up close and personal on this study tour of Britain’s largest slate quarry.

The day will comprise two talks and a tour of the quarry following the process of extraction of block from the quarry face through to hand splitting and dressing to size. Participants will have a chance to make slates themselves.

The first talk will explain the history of the quarry and the development of manufacturing techniques which mirror the evolution of power systems from water through steam to electricity and hydraulic machinery.

The second talk by Terry Hughes will illustrate the great variety of slate formats and slating techniques and how to specify new slates to conserve traditional roofs.

By understanding the huge scale of the Penrhyn Quarry, meeting the quarrymen that work it, and learning about correct detailing’ we hope that you as a professional or contractor will leave with the knowledge that by speaking to the right people you can easily specify, order and lay natural Welsh slate confidently knowing that you are using a material that will last.

The quarry was first developed in the 1770s by Richard Pennant, later Baron Penrhyn although it is likely that small-scale slate extraction on the site began considerably earlier. Much of this early working was for domestic use only as no large scale transport infrastructure was developed until Pennant's involvement.

At the end of the nineteenth century it was the world's largest slate quarry; the main pit is nearly 1 mile (1.6 km) long and 1,200 feet (370 metres) deep. Today. Penrhyn is still Britain's largest slate quarry.

Slates from this famous quarry are universally recognised as the best quality slate found anywhere in the world. Slates are exported across the world and have a lifespan measured in centuries, not decades, and are the benchmark against which all other roofing materials are measured.



Pevsner(Gwynedd (2009) edition)
Penrhyn Quarry Pg 265
Option 3 - Conwy Town Tour & Plas Mawr
Conwy Town Tour & Plas Mawr

Conwy Town Conwy Castle and the town walls were built, on the instruction of Edward I of England, between 1283 and 1289, as part of his conquest of the principality of Wales. Conwy was the original site of Aberconwy Abbey, founded by Llywelyn the Great. Edward and his troops took over the abbey site and moved the monks down the Conwy valley to a new site at Maenan. The parish church still retains some parts of the original abbey church in the east and west walls.

A study visit of the Town and key buildings will illustrate both recent and historic investments in transforming the town’s fortunes, since the opening of the A55 and the trunk road being passed under the Rover Conwy, rather than through the town. Experience the town’s and key medieval buildings such as the Garrison Church of St Mary’s, the C14th National Trust Merchant’s House, Aberconwy House and the smallest house in Britain, culminating in a guided tour of Plas Mawr.

Plas Mawr is possibly the best preserved Elizabethan town house in Great Britain. Built by Robert Wynn between 1576 and 1585, it dominates the town with its gatehouse, stepped gables and lookout tower. The interior with its elaborately decorated plaster ceilings and fine wooden screens, reflecting the wealth and influence of the Tudor gentry in Wales. See the extensive renovation wok undertaken by Cadw and understand the philosophy behind the approach.

Conwy Town


Conwy Town walking tour:
Plas Mawr:

Pevsner(Gwynedd (2009) edition)
Conwy Town Pg 317
Plas Mawr Pg 336

2.00pm Return to Hotel from Study tours
A light buffet lunch will be provided as part of the tours

 Bags can be left at the Hotel for later collection