that the Historic Chapels Trust offered a secure future to the church and offered a generous donation towards HCT's repair programme.
The repair, conservation and upgrading of the building, a programme costing £900,000, was funded by the Historic Chapels Trust with substantial assistance from the Heritage Lottery Fund, English Heritage, the London Borough of Tower Hamlets, St Paul's German Evangelical Reformed Church Trust, grant-giving trusts and generous individuals.
The Architect to the scheme was Brian Lofthouse of Thomas Ford & Partners, the building contractor being Kingswood Construction. Reinstatement of the bell turret, clock and weathervane, lost in the 1930's, was considered but unfortunately grant support for this element of the work was not forthcoming.
The Historic Chapels Trust has formed a local management committee which will organise events at St George's including concerts, lectures and other suitable activities. Close links have been forged with the Friends of the City Churches as St George's is close to the City boundary. The former congregation will continue to hold occasional services of worship and the church is still licensed for marriages.
A new detailed guide book to the church, price £5.00 + £2.00 p&p, has been written by Peter Guillery. Copies are available from the Historic Chapels Trust's office.
Dr Jenny Freeman